ST GEORGE’S, October 15, 2013 – The Grenada Olympic Committee (GOC) is pleased to inform member federations and the general public that the International Olympic Committee (IOC) in conjunction with the GOC will host the Young Ambassadors (YA) Programme on the occasion of the second edition of the Summer Youth Olympic Games (YOG), Nanjing 2014.
The primary role of the Young Ambassador (YA) is to encourage the athletes to actively participate in a number of learning experiences that take place in parallel to the competition programme.
Building upon the lessons from Singapore and Innsbruck, the IOC/ GOC is convinced that the role of each YA is central to the success of the YOG and to offer a unique, life-changing experience to all participating athletes. In the true spirit of our YOG and GOC mission, we want to engage with young athletes and other young participants and inspire them to play an active role in their schools and communities.
The YA Programme is open to any young, talented and dynamic man/woman aged between 18 and 25. This position will have a real “added value” before, during and after the YOG.
The YA will be a valuable member of the GOC’s YOG team headed by General Secretary of the GOC, Mrs Veda Bruno-Victor.
To turn this role into a successful contribution to Nanjing 2014, the GOC has identified a number of key activities in which the YA should be involved:
Once a candidate has been selected, the IOC will organise and cover the travel and accommodation costs for the YA to attend the Youth Ambassadors Seminar, which will be held in Nanjing, China in late March 2014.
The IOC and the GOC will also cover the travel and accommodation costs for the YA’s participation in the YOG in August 2014. Please note that the YA’s work is completely volunteer-based and there is no payment planned to compensate for their activities.
Expectations of the YA before the YOG
- Motivating and informing the athletes about the YOG’s cultural and educational program (CEP);
- Being part of the GOC’s educational or cultural activities for young people;
- Getting involved in the GOC’s communication efforts by reporting and/or promoting the coming YOG edition.
During the YOG:
- Supporting the Chef de Mission in the YOG’s cultural and educational mission;
- Facilitating the participation of your delegation in the cultural and educational program.
- 18 – 25 years old
- Positive and optimistic spirit
- Interest and experience in sport
- Encouraging and motivating
- Fluent English speaker Active and dynamic
- Good communicator Open-minded
- Available for the entire YAs seminar and Games time
- Ability to influence/impact (charismatic)
- Active social media user Enthusiastic
Deadline to submit Application form and Curriculum Vitae to the GOC by October 21st, 2013 to email@example.com