West Indies Celebrate

West Indies Celebrate

DUBAI, UAE, April 25, 2016 – The International Cricket Council (ICC) has chided the behaviour and actions of some of the West Indies players following their victory in the final of the ICC World Twenty20 Tournament earlier this month.

The ICC Board said that comments and actions of the Windies’ players were ‘inappropriate and disrespectful’ and warns that consideration has been given into bringing Code of Conduct charges against some of the West Indies players.

“The Board considered the behaviour of some of the West Indies players in the immediate aftermath of the final, and unanimously agreed that certain comments and actions were inappropriate, disrespectful and brought the event into disrepute,” according to ICC statement following a meeting in Dubai on Sunday.

“The Board acknowledged an apology by the WICB but was disappointed to note that such behaviour had detracted from the success of what was otherwise a magnificent tournament and final.”

“The sport of cricket is proud of its unique spirit and this involves being gracious in victory as well as defeat and respectful at all times to the game, one’s opponents, the sponsors and the fans,” said ICC Chairman Shashank Manohar.

“The Board also noted that very serious consideration had been given to bringing Code of Conduct charges in respect of the behaviour of the West Indies players and emphasised that this was not acceptable conduct at ICC Events played out on a world stage in front of millions of people around the globe.”

The ICC congratulated the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) for completing an unprecedented treble by winning the ICC Under-19 Cricket World Cup 2016 as well as women’s and men’s titles at the ICC World Twenty20 India 2016.

The Board also complemented the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) and the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) for the successful staging of these events and also thanked its broadcasters, commercial partners, fans and media for their support in making these events a success from a fan engagement perspective.

Meanwhile, the ICC agreed that there is the potential participation of cricket in the Olympic and or Commonwealth Games but further discussions were required with the Members and the other stakeholders, including the IOC and Commonwealth Games Federation before a final position could be adopted.

The ICC also received updates on the progress of the sport in China and its development in the United States.

“The Board received an update on cricket in China and was impressed to note that there were approximately 80,000 participants in the country, including around 35,000 female cricketers. The Chinese Women’s National team also narrowly missed out on qualification for the ICC Women’s World Twenty20 2016.”

The ICC agreed to continue to work with the Chinese Cricket Association to develop a long term strategy for cricket’s development in China.

“The Board received a report on the development of cricket in the United States of America (USA) and expressed its satisfaction with the progress made in-line with the previously approved strategic framework,” the ICC said.

It was also decided that the ICC World Cricket League Division 4 event, which the USA will participate in, would be staged by the ICC in Los Angeles in late 2016.

Tags

 
0 comments
 
 
%d bloggers like this: